Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"All's Not Well in Land of 'The Lion King'"

I just absolutely could not believe that this woman could find so much wrong with a classic like "The Lion King." She just bashes everything about this movie which, in my opinion, is one of the best Disney films - a classic as most would put it.
The first thing that I cannot believe that she says is that the hyenas are the blacks when clearly black is just an evil color used for villains. If you think back on all the villains in all of the Disney movies, they all have mostly black coloring in their character. Is she saying that Disney is making, say, Ursula black because she is mostly black? This is absurd. Just because the hyenas are black in color does not mean that they are representing blacks. Instead of thinking that Disney is racist, I am in turn thinking that she is racist for thinking that and making that connection which I doubt if anyone else would make. Also, saying that Scar is gay? She is just discriminating based on a voice and a lifestyle. I think that she is just judging and looking way too far into this children's movie. I think her thoughts about this movie are too far in because like I said before, this is a children's movie. I just cannot believe that she would make these assumptions.
I do kind of agree about the woman's standards in the Disney movies though. At least in the earlier Disney movies, the women characters are all damsels in distress and cannot seem to do anything until their macho male hero saves them. But I think that, even though I think that it is wrong, it shows the thoughts of the times. Like today there are much more woman characters that are strong and have a strong mind and can do things without men, like Mulan. So, that is the only half-way decent point that Lazarus makes in this evaluation of "The Lion King."
I think that there are too many critics out there just searching and waiting for something to be wrong in everything. They have to point out every flaw and fault. I think that people should just chill and watch a movie to watch a movie. It just seems like no one can enjoy anything anymore without judging every aspect of a film.

No comments: