Thursday, April 3, 2008

"The E-Learning Curve"

This investigating essay is much better than the other one we had to read for last class. First of all, the introduction was pretty good. I actually understood what it was saying unlike the other introduction. It stated that topic well and was interesting enough that I wanted to read on. The author was much more professional in this essay as well. He reported the information he had collected well and presented it in a clear and concise way. He also used quotes well and he interviewed enough people to support his topic. All in all, I thought that this was a very well put together investigating essay.
I thought that this topic was very interesting. With on-line learning on the rise and becoming so easy to set up, I think it's important to sit back and look at the pros and cons of both options - residence learning and on-line learning. While I think that for some people it is necessary to get their degree on-line, like people who already have a family, a job, or not enough money to afford living or taking classes at a college, I think you get the full experience and actually learn and retain more if you are actually in the class at the college. What I really enjoy about classes in college is getting to know a professor by watching them teach and getting to know other students in the class. You don't get the full extent of these things when you are taking a class on-line. You don't get the face-to-face interaction. But I think that it is important for on-line courses to keep increasing in resources so that people who still want to learn but cannot go to college still are able to get the best education that they can. While I do not want to ever take classes on-line, I think that the fact that the option is out there is comforting, in case I ever have to take them. It is also the job of the professors to really keep up with their coursework for on-line classes and really keep in contact with their students so that maybe relationships can form. The people taking on-line courses should be graded the same and should get the same education as those who take part in residence learning.

No comments: